Department: Corporate Services
Reporting To: Managing Director of Corporate Services
Location: London, New York, Johannesburg
Salary: £87,091 / USD 147,430 / ZAR 1,684,258 plus benefits
Term: Permanent. Flexible working options available, including hybrid working.
This is an exciting opportunity to join C40 as Director of Finance during a period of rapid and reactive growth.
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 300+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Johannesburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen and Beijing, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in London.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. The management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
Our international staff work with the C40 network under the leadership of city governments to deliver this mission. Using a data-driven approach, our team identifies and promotes the exchange of proven programmes and policies developed by cities; provides world-class research, technical expertise and access to key partners to deliver new programmes and policies with cities; and communicates cities’ individual achievements and collective leadership.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which lead to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants that are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness or neurodiversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
The C40 Cities Corporate Services team is an internal support service function managing resources for the achievement of C40’s Cities’ strategies. It also ensures compliance with legal and financial obligations and works to improve governance and accountability across the organisation.
The C40 Corporate Services team is at the heart of the C40 organisation and plays an important role supporting the Executive Director and Management Team in the delivery of administration, asset management, finance, information technology, facilities, legal and human resources.
C40 is looking for an inclusive leader to develop our finance function through a period of sustained growth to provide a forward looking and dynamic approach to the financial planning in the organisation, ensure ongoing financial resilience, and support colleagues in managing financial budgets appropriately. The postholder will be experienced in working in a growth environment with multiple competing demands.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Corporate Services, the Director of Finance is responsible for overseeing C40’s global finance function – currently a US 501(c)(3) non-profit, UK registered charity, South Africa entity, a China Representative office, Denmark entity and newly-incorporated Indian entity, with further expansion anticipated. With a team of ten, including a qualified Financial Controller and a Senior Manager, Project Reporting, the Director of Finance oversees the management of the accounting processes, and reporting for all C40 entities, and is responsible for delivering short-term and long-term budget planning for each entity to meet C40’s strategic objectives.
- Qualified Accountant: CCAB/ CIMA or equivalent
- Extensive senior level experience post-qualification in not-for-profit, public sector or commercial organizations – demonstrable experience of a political environment would be desirable
- Strong leadership skills and evidence of motivating a diverse and global team across time zones and cultures. Strong commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
- Previous experience of advising key stakeholders at an executive level within a global organisation.
- Proven experience of managing a finance department, ideally with experience of working globally
- Experience of navigating varied international legal and tax regimes and ability to pick up the necessary information about a new territory quickly
- Proven track record of working in an ever changing environment with multiple demands requiring a high level or resilience
- Solid analytical and strategic planning skills with excellent attention to detail
- Strategic insight and experience in solving issues related to varied and often competing operational, statutory, and funding requirements
- Strong technical and problem-solving capabilities coupled with an outcome, delivery-orientated approach
- Commitment to demonstrating the inclusive values of the organisation.
- Proven track record in working collaboratively and effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys working in a dynamic international environment where there is rapid growth and change
To find our more, please contact Michael Quest of Ivy Rock Partners directly (07766401842 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Application Deadline: midnight, Sunday 19th March – please share your cv with a brief cover letter outlining motivations and core areas of relevance for the role.
- Interviews: 24th March, 27th March or 30th